Sunday, September 18, 2011

How can smart gas help prevent fires after earthquakes?

I do not get what smart gas is, and why it would help prevent quakes? Actually I do not get why fire has to do with earthquakes.|||I must admit that I do not know off hand how smart gas works. I assume that it somehow ceases to flow from a ruptured gas main, either some property intrinsic to the gas and/or shutoff valves on the pipelines.





Smart gas will not prevent earthquakes, nothing will prevent earthquakes. The only real solutions lie in mitigating the after effects. Earthquakes will often set off fires, by rupturing gas mains as I mentioned, even something as simple as food left cooking on a stove in the panic of an earthquake.


Fire services may be out of action following a severe quake or unable to access the flames or simply overwhelmed by the number of fires which develop. Fires along with disease are major killers among those people who survive the initial collapse of buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment